welcome to Presidio La Bahia.
Presidio La Bahía is located
one mile south of Goliad, Texas
on U.S. Highway 183 (77A).
Presidio La Bahia was established
at this location in 1749, with
It has been owned by the Catholic
Church since 1853 and is currently
operated by the Catholic
Diocese of Victoria, Texas.
During the mid-1960s, the Kathryn
Stoner O'ConnorFoundation funded a restoration
project under the direction
of architect Raiford Stripling
and archeologist Roland Beard.
The fort was rebuilt to its
1836 appearance, based on documents
and archeological evidence dating
from the Texas Revolution.
Presidio La Bahía was designated
One present significance of
the Presidio is that it and
the two missions constitute
the only surviving example of
a Spanish Colonial mission/presidio
complex in Texas and one of
very few in North America.
The preservation of this relationship
greatly enhances the visitors'
understanding of the partnership
between the Spanish Crown and
the Catholic Church in colonizing
the New World.
The Presidio chapel
still serves as a community
church. Visitors may tour
the grounds and chapel and visit
the Presidio's museum, which
contains exhibits and cases
of artifacts. The most
popular annual event at the
site is the Goliad Massacre
Living History Program, a two-day
reenactment of the battle of
Coleto Creek and the subsequent
execution of Colonel James W.
Fannin and his troops.
Our Lady of Loreto Chapel at
Presidio La Bahia has served
the spiritual needs of Catholics
- Spanish, Mexican, Texas, American,
in turn - since 1779. Even today,
mass services are held every
Sunday at 5:00 p.m. at the Our
Lady of Loreto Chapel.
Near the Presidio is the Fannin
After the defeat of the Mexican
army at the Battle of San Jacinto,
as General Rusk and the Texas
army was following the Mexican
army out of Texas, when they
arrived at Goliad, they gathered
up the remains of Fannin and
his men and buried them at a
site to the southeast of Presidio
It took over 100 years for the
State of Texas to erect a lasting
monument to Colonel Fannin and
his men. Funds were appropriated
as part of the Texas Centennial
celebration in 1936. The monument
was erected and dedicated in
1938, and placed directly over
the grave of the Goliad garrison.
The monument, which is in fact
a gravestone, contains the known
names of the Goliad men and
those killed at the battle of
Coleto Creek on March 19, 1836.
The relief carving show the
Goddess of Liberty lifting a
fallen soldier in chains.
for a Timeline of major events
at Presidio La Bahia.
Click HERE to visit Presidio La Bahia's Facebook Page.